- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
- In a large pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil until shimmering. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the onion and cook until slightly translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and spinach and cook for another 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove vegetables from heat. Stir in mozzarella cheese and mix until incorporated.
- Using a sharp knife, slice a slit into the side of each chicken breast. Move the knife back and forth to make a pocket. Season the chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Stuff each chicken breast with some of the mushroom mixture. If needed, use a wooden toothpick to keep the stuffing from falling out.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil until shimmering. Add the chicken breasts and cook on one side until nicely browned, about 5-8 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken. Flip chicken breasts over and cook on the other side until entirely cooked through, approximately 5-8 more minutes.
- Remove from heat. Serve immediately, with a side of rice, pasta, or vegetables to make a more hearty meal. Enjoy!