- 1 lb chicken livers
- 2 cup buttermilk
- dash hot sauce
For the breading:
- 3 cup AP flour
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp ground mustard
- ¼ tsp black pepper, ground
- 6 cup canola/peanut oil
- ⅓ cup hot sauce*
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- Mix the chicken livers with buttermilk and allow to marinate for ~1 hour.
- Meanwhile, mix together the dry ingredients for the breading. You can also go ahead and melt the butter intothe hot sauce to have ready for tossing with the fried livers.
- When the livers have marinated for ~1 hour, get the oil for frying pre-heated to ~375F. Drain the livers well,then toss in the flour mixture to coat.
- Working in batches (to not overload the pan – as that will drastically decrease the temperature of the oil) – frythe livers for about 3 minutes. They will not take long to cook and there will be “popping” as the livers fry, souse caution (and a fry screen if you have one)!
- Test one of the livers to check for doneness – it should still have some pink at the very center – before tossingthem all in the sauce. Adjust your fry time accordingly.
- Remove the livers from the oil and drain briefly on paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Then immediatelytoss them in a small bowl and coat with hot sauce.
- Serve immediately with ranch and/or blue cheese and celery.