- 2 tbsp olive and vegetable oil mixture
- 1 cup bacon, chopped
- 1 ea b/s chicken breast & thigh, diced & seasoned with salt & pepper
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 ea garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 4 cup cooking greens (collards, kale, etc), chopped & packed
- 2 cup cooked black-eyed peas
- 4 cup chicken stock
- 2 cup long grain white rice
- 1-2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat a deep cast iron pot over medium heat and pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the oil and bacon into the pan. Cook until the bacon is almost crispy, stirring occasionally.
- Dice and season the chicken while the bacon is cooking.
- Turn the heat to a medium to high heat and add the chicken.
- Sear the chicken and try to get some good color on it.
- Next, add the onions and garlic until the onions become translucent.
- Then, add the collard green stems first and cook until soft.
- Season with salt and crushed red pepper.
- Add the collard green leaves in.
- Also, add the black-eyed peas.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer then add the peas and rice. Stir very well, cover with foil, and then place it in oven.
- Cook in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Finally, add the cider vinegar.